Cincinnati Contra Dancers
Golden Rule: HAVE FUN!
Rules of Thumb:
- Wear clean, non-marking shoes that slide.
- Listen to announcements and teaching.
- Anyone may ask anyone to dance. Yes, women may ask men!
- We recommend that two beginners not dance together the first few dances. Improvement comes more quickly by dancing with experienced partners.
- It is customary to change partners after every dance.
- As a matter of courtesy it is customary not to accept a request to dance after you have refused someone else.
- Same gender dance partners are not uncommon, especially if there is an unequal number of each gender. It takes experience, however, to switch roles.
- Contradancing is vigorous, i.e. people often sweat! Some folks bring extra shirts for a quick change during the break.
- Practice good dance hygiene. For example, wash your hands before dancing. Cough into your elbow if necessary.
- Dance with both gusto and grace. Yes, you may stomp, BUT, protect our floor, feet, and ears by stomping lightly.
- Eye contact is wonderful and helps avoid dizziness especially during swings. If this makes you uncomfortable simply look at the face of your partner.
- Contradances can get crowded. Be aware of your body space. Take care not to collide with other dancers.